I was flicking through the latest issue of Donna Hay magazine when I came across a recipe for chocolate, banana, and coconut muffins. While I'm quite partial to a choc chip muffin, I thought that the addition of banana and coconut would make for a tasty treat. So, here we are. One batch of chocolate, banana, and coconut muffins done and dusted. The recipe couldn't be easier and you end up with some deliciously gooey chocolate muffins. They're the perfect bite for morning or afternoon tea.
Chocolate, Banana, and Coconut Muffins
Makes 12 (I ended up making 18)
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups mashed banana (I used 4 bananas)
- 200 dark chocolate, chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease muffin tins.
2. Place flour, coconut, sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the egg, vanilla, coconut milk, oil, banana, and chocolate. Using a butter knife, mix until just combined.
3. Spoon the mixture into muffin tins. Cook for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer (if you're testing with a skewer remember that if it doesn't come out clean it could just be the melted chocolate, so try a few different spots to make sure).
4. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Original recipe by Donna Hay